The St. Francis College Terriers continue to roll with a 2-1 victory over the Sacred Heart University Pioneers. Today’s match marked the beginning of conference play. Their six game shutout streak may have come to an end this afternoon, but more importantly they picked up the win.

Early in the first half the Pioneers took advantage of a Terriers turnover and scored the first goal of the game. Pioneers’ junior midfielder Mahmoud Kafel took the ball off the turnover and beat Terriers’ goalkeeper Jack Binks.

Today Binks proved that he is in fact human by allowing a goal for the first time since September 13. Over nearly a month of perfection the Terriers goalkeeper turned away a total of 21 shots prior to letting up the first goal in today’s game.

The one and only goal scored by the Pioneers looked like it would be enough to hold off the Terriers. The Pioneers led up until the 86th minute when Terriers’ junior forward John Makaya tied the game up with his seventh goal of the year. The Pioneers looked like they were on their way to victory but Makaya and the Terriers had different plans.

With the score knotted at one and only four minutes remaining this game looked to be headed to overtime. That just wouldn’t be the case. The Terriers were determined to scratch out another goal in the closing minutes. In the 89th minute of play, Terriers’ sophomore midfielder Salvatore Barone took the ball of the goalkeeper’s foot and was able to find the back of the net. The goal was Barone’s first of the season and the first of his career.

Barone’s first goal proved to be the game winner. The Terriers would go on to win by the final score of 2-1. Barone and Makaya were the hero’s for the Terriers, they were able to come through in crunch time. A come from behind victory is great for the morale of a team. Even though the Terriers were already playing some fine soccer, this victory is a significant one for the team.

Its clutch moments like these that can define a season. These opportunities do not present themselves often, but when they do the players in position have to convert. The Terriers were fortunate to have two players come through in the latter stages of the game to propel them to victory.

With today’s win the Terriers now improve to (6-4-2) overall and (1-0) in NEC play. From here on out the Terriers will be taking part in conference play. This is the time where they must rack up a solid number of wins in order to distinguish themselves from the rest. The slow start is now behind them and they are rolling into conference play.

The Terriers are back on the field on October 17, at 3 pm. They will take on first place St. Francis University on the road. This will prove to be the Terriers biggest game of the season thus far. If they can pick up a win it would put them on top of the NEC, which is right where they want to be.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *