The St. Francis Brooklyn Terriers defeated the defending ACC Champion University of Miami Hurricanes 66-62 in overtime, at the Bank United Center on the Campus of the University of Miami in Coral Gables, Florida.

“I was just really proud of our guys,” said Terrier’s fourth-year head coach Glen Braica. “This is one of the biggest wins, if not the biggest in the history of our school. They are the defending ACC champs and are a great program.”

Braica added, “I was particularly proud that our guys had enough left at the end to pull this out after they tied it up to force overtime. That’s not an easy thing to do and they went out and did it. We didn’t have a great week of practice but they really stepped it up tonight.”

The Terriers were led by freshman Wayne Martin, who had 17 points and eight rebounds, and junior Jalen Cannon who picked up his first double-double of the season, with 14 points and 10 rebounds.

Martin was nervous going into his first college game but stuck to the game plan which helped him succeed.

“I was nervous going into the game but I just did what I was told,” Martin commented. “The key to our win was defense and an overall team effort. We stayed aggressive and confident and were able to pull out the victory.”
SFBK took the lead for good when Cannon made a reverse lay-up to make it 62-60.

Cannon knew what he was going to do with the ball when he got it, because the defense fell for the move on previous possessions.

” I had a fell on what move I wanted to go to because they kept going for the fake, so I did a second time and was able to make a reverse lay-up, ” Cannon also commented on the win. ” We just went out and played hard like coach said. It felt like most of the older guys who played against Seton Hall ( a game the Terriers lost two seasons ago to open the season in overtime). Didn’t want to experience that again and coach said to play hard and that’s all there is to it.”

The Hurricanes scored the first four baskets of the second half to go up by three,30-27.
The Terriers responded with a 12-2 run, which was led by six points from sophomore forward Amdy Fall, to go up 39-32.
Miami would cut the SFBK lead to three, 42-39, after a bucket by sophomore center Tonye Jekiri. But SFBK responded with a three by senior guard Ben Mockford, to extend their lead to six,45-39. With SFBK up 47-40, Miami went on a 6-0 run to make it a one point game.

Martin scored to make it 49-46, the Hurricanes would score four consecutive point to take a one point lead. But Martin would respond to put the Terriers back on top.

With the score at 53-50 SFBK ,Miami would score four straight points to go up by one. Martin responded again with two huge free-throws to put SFBK up by one, 55-54.

With the same score, SFBK point guard Brent Jones went one of two from the line, to extend the lead to 56-54 with just over ten seconds left.

Miami’s Garruis Adams hit off balance lay-up with just less than three seconds left to knot the game at 56-56, which sent it to overtime.

The Terriers held a 27-26 lead going into the second half, despite starting the game shooting 0 for 13 from the floor.

SFBK returns to action on November 11th when they head to Florida Atlantic University.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *