Freshman Wayne Martin’s tip-in with 1.5 seconds helped St. Francis Brooklyn men’s basketball beat the Stony Brook Seawolves 70-68 at Pritchard Gymnasium on Sunday. On Monday, Martin was named Choice Hotels/NEC Rookie of the Week for the second time.

“I saw the shot might fall short, and during the timeout I was told to rebound, so I ran to the front of the rim and put the ball in,” Martin said recalling his game winner.

With the win, the Terriers, who improved to 5-3, snapped Stony Brook’s 13 game home winning streak.

Jalen Cannon led St Francis with a season-high 23 points and eight rebounds.

“It really means a lot (to win). They are a very well rounded team, especially at home,” Cannon said. “We fell behind, we just stayed with it. Anything can happen and our guys brought it together and locked in. We were able to execute until the end.”

The Seawolves started the contest on a 8-1 run.

With the score at 10-5, freshman Sheldon Hagigal knocked down a three to make it 10-8.

Stony Brook were able to open their lead back to four at 15-11. The Terriers would use back to back buckets from Hagigal and junior Amdy Fall to tie the game at 15.

The Seawolves were able to go ahead 19-18 on an Eric McAlister layup. St Francis would go ahead 24-19 on six straight points, but Stony Brook cut the Terrier lead to one, 28-27, on an Anthony Jackson jumper.

St Francis ended the half on an 8-1 run, and took a 36-28 lead going in to the half. wayne martin alumni

The Terriers jumped out to a nine lead, 46-37, early in the second half after Cannon hit a pair of free throws. The Seawolves answered with a 12-1 run to take a 49-47 advantage.

Martin (pictured right) responded with a jumper to knot the game at 49. Later in the half, Martin hit another jumper to put St Francis back up 53-52.

With the score tied at 56, Stony Brook outscored the Terriers 7-2, to go up 63-58.

The Seawolves were ahead 66-6 with 2:54 remaining. St Francis jumped ahead on seven consecutive points, four from senior Ben Mockford and a three pointer from Cannon, to go ahead 68-66.

Stony Brook’s Jackson was able hit a jump shot, with 19 seconds remaining, to tie the game.

This led to the Terriers last second heroics.

St Francis returns to action on Saturday, December 7, 2013, when they travel to West Point University to play Army at 3:00 P.M.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *